Dean House History
Dean House was established in 1986 in honour of Mr William Douglas Johnston ‘Bill’ Dean (1920-1996), the first chair of the Kinross Wolaroi School Council 1975-1976.
Mr Dean was born in Sydney and educated at Sydney Grammar School. He studied Economics at the University of Sydney until the outbreak of WWII. Enlisting in the AIF, Mr Dean served in the Middle East with the 9th Division, 4th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment. He was the first Australia soldier wounded at El Alamein.
Mr Dean moved to Orange in 1962 and was invited by Mr Stuart Douglas (Chairman of Council PLC 1932-1933) to join the PLC Council in 1964. In 1971 he resigned to take up the position of Bursar. After ill-health forced his resignation from this position, Mr Dean rejoined the PLC Council and continued his active interest in the School and was the inaugural chair of Kinross Wolaroi School in 1975 and 1976. He continued to serve as vice chairman until his retirement from his position in 1995, having provided 32 years of dedicated commitment to the school.
Mr Dean was part of the School’s Finance Committee that guided the fledging School to financial stability. He was also very active in community life and was involved with Legacy, Rotary and the Orange Show Society. Kinross Wolaroi School acknowledged the dedication of Mr Dean by naming the Preparatory School wing the WDJ Dean Building.