Gordon House History
Gordon House was established in 1950 and named after Mr D.W.T ‘Tom’ Gordon and family who had long associations with PLC since its foundation.
Tom and his brother, Stuart Donald Gordon (1881-1938) of ‘Derowie’, Cudal were co-founders of PLC with Stuart Douglas and Rev McInnes. Tom became Chairman of the School Council and his daughter, Helen (Sullivan) was one of the original pupils at the school. The brothers owned property throughout the western area and canvassed the region for support to open a Presbyterian boarding school based on Christian principles for girls from the Western Area. PLC opened in 1928. In 1973 it became co-educational and changed its name to Kinross School.
There have been Gordon descendants involved with the School almost continuously either as pupils or on the Council. Tom¹s granddaughter, Anne Gordon (a'Beckett) was captain of PLC in 1958 and Stuart¹s great granddaughter, Victoria Gordon was captain of KWS in 1989.
Gordon House was established at the same time as Douglas House in the early 1950¹s when numbers grew at PLC to accommodate additional tutor houses to Rossshire Buff House and Black Watch House. Because the latter Houses were not associated with people they were disbanded when Kinross School and Wolaroi College amalgamated in 1975.