Richards House History
Richards House was established in 1986 and named after Mr T.H Richards, owner, principal and sole teacher of the initial school known as Weymouth House that opened in June 1886 on the corner of Sale and Byng Streets, Orange. Mr Richards had come to Orange from All Saints College Bathurst and brought with him his wife as school matron.
In 1893 as a result of increased school enrolments, Mr Richards required a larger site and purchased part of Mr J.C. McLachlan’s Bathurst Road property, ‘Wolaroi’, including the beautiful mansion and changed the school name from Weymouth House to Wolaroi Grammar School. The Richards were held in high esteem by the school students and their families and continued to run the school at ‘Wolaroi’ until 1906. Mr Richards was the man who ‘founded the earliest traditions of the School and the accent on character formation which has remained throughout its history.”